GRAND RAPIDS CHAMBER MUSIC PROGRAM | July 20 – 24, 2020
Alicia Gregorian Sawyers- Artistic Director
Ages 8-18 | 9:30 am to 4pm
Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass and Piano students welcome.
The Grand Rapids Chamber Music Program provides students an opportunity to study chamber music during this week-long camp. Students will be placed in chamber groups according to their age, level, and instrumentation. (If musicians are currently in an ensemble and all members are in camp, they may request to stay together.)
Daily activities include:
- Chamber ensemble coaching –trios, quartets, and quintets.
- Chamber Orchestra – violinist, rapper and director Rodney Page will engage students in a unique and energetic ensemble experience with original compositions alongside classic chamber literature.
- Theory/composition classes.
- Creative Connections Workshop-led by Jill Warne, Creative Connections founder, this workshop is a unique opportunity for musicians to creatively explore and express stories, ideas and emotions through music.
- Practice time- students will learn proper rehearsal techniques with help from our fellows and faculty.
- Master Class with Jordan Hamilton- cellist of Last Gasp Collective and the Southwest Michigan Symphony Orchestra. Jordan merges songwriting, loop pedals, sample machines, and vocals to create a sonic landscape of experimental hip-hop, folk, soul, and classical music.
Students will work with outstanding coaches from around the country. Special events are held each day, including cello and violin choir, masterclasses, faculty performances, recitals and more. The culmination is the final recital for the chamber ensembles on Friday.
Registration deadline is May 8. No refunds after the deadline.