CHAMBER MUSIC ENSEMBLES COACHING
St. Cecilia Music Center School of Music Chamber music coaching program offers motivated string and piano musicians an opportunity to work in a chamber ensemble through the school year and receive expert coaching.
Sookkyung Cho + Alicia Sawyers, Lead Coaches
Tuition: $265/student (includes $15 for Junior Music Clubs membership)
- Required parent orientation and scheduling meeting in September.
- 6 coaching sessions between October and April with outstanding musicians from West Michigan and beyond.
- A workshop in December.
- Performance at an SCMC Junior Music Clubs meeting.
- Optional Community Outreach performances.
- Final concert on April 19, 2020
- Every participant receives 2 complimentary tickets to a Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center Concert (3 concert series)
- Tuition Fee includes membership in the St. Cecilia Music Center Junior Music Clubs.
If applying as a pre-formed ensemble:
- One chamber music piece
- Each player will be asked to sight read
If applying individually to be placed in a group:
- PIANO: two contrasting solo pieces and sight reading
- STRINGS: one solo piece and sight reading
Fall Auditions: September 4, 2019
WHY CHAMBER MUSIC?
COLLABORATION: Chamber Music involves working together equally, sharing opinions and striving to come together to make something beautiful.
LEADERSHIP: There is no conductor! Each member of the group has to be the leader at different times.
RESPONSIBILITY: When there is only one student to a part, there is no ability to hide and each student must be responsible for learning his or her music!
INTONATION: In small ensembles, students must focus and learn the skill of playing in tune.
LEAD COACHING FACULTY
|SOOKKYUNG CHO | Piano Coach
Sookkyung is Assistant Professor of Piano at GVSU. She is a founding member of Almava trio based out of NYC. Sookkyung earned her Doctor of Musical Arts degree from Juilliard and her Masters from Peabody.
|ALICIA SAWYERS | Strings Coach
Alicia is the principal cellist of the West Michigan Symphony. She received her Masters Degree from the New England Conservatory. She is a passionate chamber musician, having worked with renown musicians including the Julliard String Quartets.